- Has severe/chronic health problems;
- Persistent substance misuse;
- Developmental milestones unlikely to be met;
- Teenage pregnancy (acute level of need);
- Serious mental health issues.
Education and Learning, e.g.
- Is out of school;
- Permanently excluded from school or at risk of permanent exclusion;
- Has no access to leisure activities.
Emotional and Behavioural Development, e.g.
- Regularly involved in anti-social/criminal activities;
- Puts self or others in danger, e.g. missing from home or care;
- Suffers from periods of depression;
- Suicide attempts;
- Children at risk of sexual exploitation.
- Experiences persistent discrimination, e.g. on the basis of ethnicity, sexual orientation or disability;
- Is socially isolated and lacks appropriate role models.
Family and Social Relationships, e.g.
- Periods of being accommodated by the Local Authority;
- Family breakdown related in some way to child's behavioural difficulties;
- Subject to physical, emotional or sexual abuse or Neglect, incl children subject to Child Protection Plans;
- Is main carer for family member;
- Unaccompanied asylum seekers;
- Where parents have made Private Fostering Arrangements.
Social Presentation, e.g.
- Poor and inappropriate self-presentation.
Self-care Skills, e.g.
- Neglects to use self-care skills due to alternative priorities, e.g. substance misuse.
- Parents unable to provide "good enough" parenting that is adequate and safe, including unborn children;
- Parents' mental health problems or substance misuse significantly affect care of child;
- Parents unable to care for previous children.
- There is instability and violence in the home continually;
- Parents involved in crime;
- Parents unable to keep child safe;
- Victim of crime.
- Parents inconsistent, highly critical or apathetic towards child.
- No constructive leisure time or guided play.
Guidance and Boundaries
- No effective boundaries set by parents;
- Regularly behaves in an anti-social way in the neighbourhood.
- Beyond parental control;
- Has no-one to care for him/her.
Family History and Functioning
- Significant parental discord and persistent domestic violence;
- Poor relationships between siblings.
- No effective support from extended family;
- Destructive/unhelpful involvement from extended family.
- Physical accommodation places child in danger.
- Chronic unemployment that has severely affected parents' own identities;
- Family unable to gain employment due to significant lack of basic skills or long-term difficulties, e.g. substance misuse.
- Extreme poverty/debt impacting on ability to care for child.
Family's Social Integration
- Family chronically socially excluded;
- No supportive network.
- Poor quality services with long-term difficulties with accessing target populations.