View Wirral LSCB Procedures Manual View Wirral LSCB Procedures Manual

5.1.18 Placements Outside England and Wales

Wirral Council can arrange for a child for whom they are providing accommodation by voluntary agreement to live outside England and Wales with the approval of every person who has Parental Responsibility for the child.

In the case of a child who is in care, the Court’s approval must be sought. This may only be given if the Court is satisfied that:

  • Living there would be in the child’s best interests;
  • Suitable arrangements have been for the reception and welfare of the child in the new country;
  • The child has consented to living in the new country (subject to age and understanding);
  • Every person who has Parental Responsibility for the child has consented.

The Social Worker must include in the child’s Care Plan the details of the arrangements which have been made to supervise the child’s placement.

The Care Planning, Placement and Case Review (England) Regulations 2010 do not apply outside England and Wales. Therefore, Local Authorities and other agencies must ensure that equivalent requirements are met where placing a child outside England and Wales.